Monday, December 29, 2014

Your Raw, Beautiful Self


via Unsplash
 I have lived a life behind a mask; not a physical mask, mind you, but rather a metaphorical one. I have hidden who I was; ashamed of my looks, my interests, my voice, my stance, my vibe. And I am not the only one. I will wager that you too have also lived a life behind a mask; perhaps you still are. Why do we humans do this? We ALL do it! It's as though there is some unspoken standard that we all have to conform to, rather than being our unique selves. We're uncomfortable wearing a certain pair of jeans that we love because "what might people say?? They might not approve of those rips!" We're hesitant to dye our hair a different, fun color that we've always wanted because "People might think I'm weird". We're afraid to love ourselves for how we naturally look because we don't look like a photoshopped, anorexic model from Hollywood. And of course we can't sing and jive in the car, because - well - people might think we're nuts!!

  People are so beautiful... We're so different and unique, and when we let our raw, beautiful selves shine through it's a staggering thing to behold. My friend, do you know how amazing you look when you are confident?? 

 You can tell at a glance when someone is comfortable with how they look, and how they are. They practically glow from within. Sure, they still have problems, but they at least have less than those of us who still have our doubts and fears about ourselves! They have a joy about them. Their vibe is one of happiness and contentment. I know people like this, and I desperately strive to be like them... And yet, not be like them. I want their passion, their energy, their enthusiasm, joy, and happiness. But I want it to be stemming from my own unique self; not from attempting to copy who they are. 

 We're all so gorgeously unique. DON'T HIDE IT!! Let it out! And don't you dare ever let someone pull you down because of it. 

Accepting yourself is one of the greatest keys to life; something I'm still discovering and mastering. I'm an introvert, so that makes me tend to "keep myself to myself". In other words, I'm one way at home, and another way in front of people. This isn't right, and I know it. But over the last year I've gotten better about accepting myself, and loving the awesome, unique, crazy person who I've been created to be! This entire post came to mind while driving home from yoga class this morning. It had been an awesome morning with the instructor, and all the other wonderful people there to do yoga, and I was feeling pretty dang upbeat while going home. I was only halfway through town, when I decided to do what I had always mentally considered "improper". I boosted my music up, and by Jove did I bop and jive, and sing along! Yes, I looked CRAZY!! But I was happy and laughing, and you know what? Other people saw me. And instead of getting those looks of reproof I'd always feared, they smiled too! I was being me, and people were fine with it!

  Here's a secret I have for you: You don't owe society anything. If someone thinks your pink leggings are weird, or doesn't care for your chalk highlights (I admit, I'm over the moon in love with chalk highlights right now), or thinks you have too many piercings, or doesn't like your music, voice, or the way you break out into a happy dance in the store, just tell them that you're currently not accepting bullshit, and they can take theirs somewhere else! Okay, you could be more polite than that... A simple smile and wink will usually do it too. People who judge aren't happy people; and happy people weird. Them. Out. So don't be surprised if people comment, but for your sake I beg you... Don't let it affect you! You're not ugly, you're beautiful! You're not fat, you're just the right size (my husband calls me "fluffy", and personally I love that term. LOL.)! You're not dumb, or hopeless, or too nerdy, or weird. You're perfect. You are so, so beautifully perfect. And you deserve to realize that. Because when you do, life will suddenly be a whole lot brighter, happier, and better. Think I'm joking? I dare you to give it a try. See if it doesn't affect you when you suddenly accept your whole self.

 People are so beautiful... We're so different and unique, and when we let our raw, beautiful selves shine through it's a staggering thing to behold. My friend, do you know how amazing you look when you are confident?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10